Here is another resting with God devotional! I am frequently reminded of how much I need quiet time with God to reset and refresh. To remind myself of who God is and that He has it all under control, and I need to just sit before Him. Today, I want us to read the story of Mary and Martha, found in Luke.
At the Home of Martha and Mary
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”Often I find myself in the position of Martha, being caught up and distracted with many things, that I forget where God has called me to be – to sit and wait before Him. Something I have found to be true in my life, is that no matter how many things I have on my list, it is most beneficial to first sit with God and fix my eyes on Him. Then I can go into my to do list or day feeling connected to God, peaceful, and ready for what may come my way. This is also true with our personal prayer lists – I feel like I can often tell God all my problems and ask Him to help – and then my time with God is over and I feel just as stressed or worried. Let us make time to hear from Him as well as share our hearts. Today, let us listen first to what God has to say and His heart for us. Not that it is bad for us to share with Him (He asks us to!) But sometimes I think that can become our entire time with Him.
– Luke 10:38-42
Here is what you can do for your time with God today:
- Find a quiet place to connect with God and have your Bible, journal, and a pen.
- Spend a few minutes focusing on relaxing your body and mind. Where are you carrying stress in your body/mind? Try and release that to God. Read the verses listed below and ask God if there is anything He wants to say to you.
- Read over the story of Mary and Martha. Ask God to speak to you through this passage. Do you feel like your at a good place with God (Mary) or do you feel like the busyness/distractions of life (Martha) have pulled you away from your relationship with Him? Write down the busyness/distractions/worries/fears that are weighing you down and ask Him to take them from you.
- Bring this to God and ask Him to speak to you about this. Ask God how He sees you and what He loves about you. Allow Him to encourage and love you.
- Listen to your favourite worship song and thank Him for the rest that is found in His Presence.
- Ask God if there is anything else He wants to say to you.
Psalm 16:11 – You will make known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Exodus 14:14 – The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still.
– Britt Andres